Sunday, March 22, 2009

Breast Cancer Fund Climb Against the Odds-Mt. Shasta



Our friend Gil Arriaga is raising money for Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention by climbing Mt. Shasta in Northern California on June 21-27 2009.
We, nina and tom, are donating $25.00 a month until June to support him and the Breast Cancer Fund. We hope you can give whatever you can for this amazing cause and selfless effort to protect and honor all women.
This blog will be checking in on Gil's progress once a month to see how well he's doing and will post updates about his climb in June.
Thank you for accepting this challenge and giving this gift to us Gil .

Here is Gil's letter to you:
Dear Friends:

I am writing to you to ask for your support as I train to be a part of the Breast Cancer Fund’s 10th annual Climb against the Odds fundraising climb to the summit of Mt. Shasta. I think I already hear some of you saying “why in the world would Gil take on such a strenuous activity to support breast cancer?” Well, the answer is simple: a breast cancer diagnosis happens to 1 in 8 women; only 10% of breast cancer cases are linked to genetics; and of about 100,000 synthetic chemicals on the market, less than 10% have been fully tested for their effects on human health. The BCF is the only organization dedicated to the elimination of the environmental causes of breast cancer & the prevention of the disease. The statistics are frightening and ones that directly affect the health of so many women who mean so much to me. So I’ve decided to harness my energy to be an advocate to help find an end to breast cancer.

I am dedicating my training and my climb to some special women who have impressed me with their courage while being treated for breast cancer & their energy as survivors. Margie Mikels, a strong spirited woman, who along with Susy & me shares the joys of being a grandparent to Logan & Wyatt. Margie, her mother and 2 sisters are all breast cancer survivors. As a mother of three daughters, she clearly does not want them to inherit this family trait. My cousin, Tina Tafoya, got her diagnosis 6 years ago as a young wife & mother. Today she is healthy & treasures every day with her sons & husband. I also am dedicating my efforts to a group of amazing women that I call The Sisterhood of EDD Survivors; the sisterhood is huge but I especially want to acknowledge Alison, Flo, Leslie, Melinda and Vicki. Ladies – your strength amazes me. Prayer flags will be taken with me to the summit of Mt. Shasta in your honor.

I know that our economy is struggling right now and these are difficult financial times for all. I do feel a stirring of positive energy now that our country has begun a new season of hope and change. My personal goal is to raise $7000, and I thank you in advance for your help. Remember each dollar raised will support the Breast Cancer Fund’s work to identify and eliminate the environmental causes of the disease. Climb against the Odds directly supports the policy initiatives, corporate accountability campaigns and other innovative programs to secure the changes needed to prevent this disease.
http://breastcancerfund.org/climb09/gilarriaga or if more convenient a check can be mailed to me at 525 Hudson Ct., Davis, Ca 95616. Checks should be made payable to Breast Cancer Fund. There is no donation that is too small, and in the spirit of “many hands make light work” please forward this to anyone you know who supports this goal.

I leave you with the refrain often spoken by two of my heroes: Cesar Chavez & Barack Obama: si se peude; yes we can. Thank you for your support.


Gil Arriaga

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

F
茶葉

製茶廠直銷,提供線上訂購高級茶葉禮盒
阿里山高山茶葉、大禹嶺高山茶葉、梨山高山茶葉、杉林溪高山茶葉、凍頂烏龍
高山茶、烏龍茶、茶葉禮盒、綠茶、鐵觀音、花茶
各種茶葉介紹,茶葉製作過程,茶葉挑選,水質選擇,茶葉特色介紹等資訊。


q

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat scripts[/URL], You are far from alone if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood avenues to build an income online.